Friday, December 9, 2011

Facts, but no figures, about my writing

Dear fellow writers, as some of you have asked about my writing (*superflattered*) here comes a little something to answer you.

Timetable:

1. It took me six and half years to plan and finish my first book in my fantasytrilogy for children. It contains aprx 90 000 words.
2. It took me a year and three months to finish the second book. Same number of words as the first book.
3. I have been planning the third book since September this year. I will begin to write the 1st of January 2012.

Forgotten manuscripts:
4. I have one finished, but lousy, crime-novel lying around. I wrote it in three months after finishing a writing course held by a Swedish publisher. Lately, three years after finishing the novel, I have found use for some of the parts. The result will be a new crime-novel with supernatural feeling. Writing will begin as soon as the trilogy for children is finished. (2012/2013?)

5. I keep two finished children´s novels around too. Both were written for writing contests. One book-contest was for the celebration of Astrid Lindgrens 100th birthday and another one for a Swedish museum.  I wrote them with a sense of urgency; the first one took me a few months, the other one just three weeks, as I found out about the contest at a very late stage. These stories are not bad in my opinion, but need revising.

6. When I write, I do it for approximately three hours a day. But there are exceptions.

Saint-like Conscience:  
7. I have never written anything because I think it could be the next big thing. The spiritworld, the magic world of potions and secret societies,mixed with history have been good companions for a long time.
Best tips on how to become an insufferable know-it-all:
8. I have been in contact with the local coroner for answers about how dead bodies behave. (The doctor working there had a laugh when he read my chapter on the autopsy of a victim but helped me make it more believable in the end) (Crime-novel)

9. I have talked about sins and ghosts with a priest working somewhere near the center of Stockholm. (No, not this priest.)I have visited a psychiatric ward and sorted out what kind of medicine I would need for a character suffering from delusions. (Crime-novel)
Hot-writer-look-potential:
10. I abuse my latte when writing. So yes, I am a bit squidgy around the edges now. But I´ll go on a strict diet as soon as Oprah and Ellen start calling me.

Secret:

11. Writing runs in the family.


             I bid you all a very good Friday night!



4 comments:

  1. SÅ himla kul att du just kommenterade hos mig när jag nästan samtidigt var inne och kikade på ditt förra inlägg med alla vackra brudklänningar. Jag tänkte skriva något men kom inte på något som hörde till ämnet...

    Nu är det lättare, när det handlar om skrivande! Jag har ju tjuvkikat här förr, så jag känner till din trilogi... Och du är som jag; i hjärtat författare... Så brukar jag också tänka, fast jag nöjde mig med att fundera på att bli jurist och blev journalist istället.

    Väldigt kul punkter du har här, särskilt mot slutet! jag blir väldigt nyfiken på dina historier! Och din familj! Någon man känner till som skriver?

    Och oroa dig inte för latten; du platsar helt säkert hos både Oprah och Ellen ändå! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wowww, 6 år!! Det är en hel del. Nästan i Tolkien-klass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHA, jag har också haft latte-nerver större delen av mina skrivprojekt. Nu har jag bytt ut kaffet mot vin. Så mycket roligare. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joanna- Det är ett järngäng som håller ihop bland bokbloggarna, märker jag. Känner mig mycket glad över att ha fått kontakt med er alla! Egentugivare förtjänar verkligen hatten av, jag har gått igenom det mesta för hur det ska genomföras i Sverige och det är verkligen en rätt krävande hobby, om än rolig! Ser fram emot att läsa om allt ni har för er och fotosessions-resultatet, så klart!
    Katarina- Ja, visst, that´s the spirit, man är som en helt ny Tolkien, liksom! ;-) Skämt åsido, det gick inte att skynda fram historien, för varje gång jag har gett den mer tid, har den blivit bättre.
    Hanna-Skriva på vin? Tja, kanske... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...